Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Masai Mara

There are some places in the world where things are just more.  More beautiful, more massive, more green, just more. San Diego's Zoo Safari park does a really good job of making it feel like that, but it's not.  I don't care how beautiful the setting, those animals were still captured and moved to a place where they don't actually belong.  They belong in the Masai Mara. Period.  San Diego can't hold a candle to the actual birthplace of these beautiful creatures. I know, because I've now been to both.



I'm a little tempted to let the pictures speak for themselves, but I'll give you a some commentary :)









These zebras were engaged in an epic battle.  As you can see, one of them is bleeding badly and it's likely this fight will carry on until on is dead or they just give up. Unfortunately, the injured zebra is now super vulnerable to predators like the lion. Guess that's the price you pay for love.


I was so lucky to see a cheetah at all, but I was even luckier to see it enjoying this Thompson gazelle. This trip has given me a new appreciation for the circle of life. It's so interesting to really see it in action.




 Giraffe's are so vulnerable when they drink water and they can only do it for a minute or two at a time. I think you can see why.



You know that scene in The Lion King, right before they start the wildebeest stampede.  Yeah, I was there. I was literally surrounded completely by these animals.  They are so funny.  Did you know that they hang out with zebras because they have terrible eyesight.  Zebras can see pretty well and when they run from a predator the wildebeest follow. Now that's friendship right there.



Um... hippos are officially my favorite part of this trip!! Holy Hippo they are HUGE.  Here there are at least 20.  We even got to get out of the car to get closer and better photos.





This is my favorite tree from the whole trip. I was really hoping to see a leopard, but never got the chance.  This is the kind of tree that leopards just love!! I totally get it.




My safari buddies and our drive/guide Peter. Super great people to do a trip like this with.


Now, welcome to Maasailand.  These are some of the people who live in this place.  Some worked at the camp I stayed at and some just lived nearby.  They are beautiful.  Can you see why the Maasai are just truly incredible?







I feel like I woke up this morning and wondered if this was real life.  Then I looked at the pictures again. I guess it was.  I am so grateful that I got to share 3 days with the world most amazing and interesting animals and people. I love Kenya. I love it, I love it, I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, cool! I get to have my morning coffee with you this morning :-) I LOVE the pictures - it shows such a different landscape than the one outside my window :-) And, how neat that you saw so many different kinds of animals. It reminds me of a trip I took to Yellowstone where we drove the length of the park and saw just about every kind of North American animal possible :-)

    Your pictures of the Masai are indeed beautiful - the colors so bright and vibrant . . . but the pictures didn't help me see the inner beauty in the ways you have. What is it about the Masia culture and character that speaks so loudly to you? I guess I can't "see" the truely incredible like you do - it must lie in more than their image :-)

    Pondering in Virginia. Love, Doc

    ReplyDelete